Friday, August 17, 2012

Phuket Tour: Prologue & Day 0 (17th August 2012)

PHUKET TOUR 2012: PROLOGUE

Ever since I started my own tour in 2011, I was hooked on it. Feel like I wanted to do more touring than ever before. And I did mentioned somewhere that I would like to tour with my passport. And yes this year I aim my tour in Thailand, specially southern part of Land of the Smile =).

The proposed routes from Hatyai to Phuket, passing through Phatthalung, Trang, Krabi, 
Originally had planned with a good friend of mine to do his tour, but his tour last 4 days and 3 night, travelling from Penang to Trang, a bit too short to my liking. But no big deal as I can extend the tour on my own, probably can stop at Krabi, better if I can reach Phuket within a week-long holiday. Somehow I modified the plan and then instead of starting from Penang, I will be taking a train to Hatyai and start my tour from there, solving my logistic issue. And then suddenly my friends took interest in my tour and sign up for it.

I will be bringing my faithful touring steed which have served me well last year. My Dahon Vitesse P18, with some upgrade to make more tour slightly more comfortable:


From top-left clockwise: Zixtro Bottle Cage for easy access, Top-Peak Modular Java Bottle Cage to accommodated larger 750ml water bottle, Brook Saddle for pain-free ride, and finally the Schwalbe Marathon Racer 20c x 1.5 tire with mud-guard installed.



For those who liked to see my touring list, here is what I improvised from last year's experience

My equipment list.
2 set of cycling attire
2 set of normal wear
2 cloth sacks
3 bottles with 750ml and thermal insulator
2 cycing socks
1 spare pump (with my dahon built-in floor pump inside the seatpost as primary pump)
1 sandal
1 Bell X-ray helmet
1 Shimano cycling shoe with cleat removed (to save weight)
1 bicycle lock
1 micro-fibre towel
2 front light (with 1 charger)
1 duct tape
Several zip-lock plastic bags
4 spare tube (2 new, 2 patched)
1 spare tyre (folded)
3 bungie cord
1 cargo netTopeak Multi-tool
1 small swiss army knife
1 box of tyre patch
1 Dahon stow bag
1 pack of disposable toilet seat cover
Notebook & pen
3 removable chain-link
1 point-and-shoot camera with HD video recording (with one spare battery)
1 mobile phone
Garmin handheld GPS
Personal hygiene kit
Medical kit 
Lighter
Thermal flask
A pack of Energy bars
Water purification pills
One thermal cup
6 packets of Japanese green tea
Passport & Travel Documents (with photocopies)

PHUKET TOUR 2012: Day ZERO

Brand New KTM Commuter Train... 
The plan was to meet up at the KL Sentral KTM station where we will took the overnight train to Hatyai. Mike & I took the KTM Commuter from our hometown in Klang toward KL Sentral.

Our bikes folded and packed into our bike bag...
It been a long time since I last took the KTM Commuter train, and was quite surprised that not only they have upgraded the train, but with plenty of space for us to store our luggages (thou was reserved for disabled)...... Oops

From left to right: Mike, Aaron, Mr Ong, SK Yeong,  Mr Choo (face hidden), and Miss Tiffany Lau (non-tourer) 
It was a pleasure to meet up with some familiar faces and some new faces (namely Aaron, Mr Ong and Mr Choo). And we decided to have our last dinner on Malaysia soil at our favourite fast food in Malaysia, before the 9.20pm train.

Everyone had tucked in but not sure if everyone can sleep well.....
This time round I had my own source of entertainment in case I really cannot sleep.
Due to the timing difference, Aaron & Choo booked their ticket late and can only get the coach seats while the rest of us will sleep with the bunker beds. Hopefully I can sleep well as I'm not a good sleeper, especially when the transport is on the move. Better catch some wink after my show so I will be properly rested for tomorrow start of the tour.

No comments: