Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cleaning of my aquarium

After fulfilling the weekend ride in the morning, the next important thing to do is to clean my goldfish tank.


I suspected I might have overfed the goldfish a bit, and hence the water turn greenish very fast and encouraging the growth of algae.... Despite only change the water 2 weeks ago. The upper portion of the tank look cleaner because I do a partial water change and wipe off the algae when opportunity given.


I cleaned the tank and accessories thoroughly with water only. I didn't use soap nor washing liquid fearing that the residue of the soap might be lethal with the fish. The brownish slimy stuff showing on the right picture is the mulm.


After the tank have been cleaned and assembled , the first thing I do is to measure and mark the water level. This will allow me to apply the correct dosage of medication recommended when needed. Also I installed the rectangular air-stone attached with adjustable air-pump. With air bubbles it certainly make the aquarium more appealing.





It is more important that you do not change the filter when you clean the aquarium for you will be eliminating a lot of beneficial bacteria. Also if you use tap water to fill the tank, it is important to use the water conditioner to remove the chlorine. Chlorine is very harmful to the freshwater fishes so it is important to let your aquarium run without the fish for few hours.


One thing I didn't get to do is to fill the base of the tank with pebbles. No matter how many times I try to wash and rinse it, the water still showing up a lot of pebbles dust. While I still considering if I might want to add it at later date, I will slowly clean it more thoroughly on my free time, ready for the next tank-wash.





Watching my goldfishes swimming happily after the wash is a very satisfying task to do on the relaxing weekend. After saying that....... I will be looking forward to clean and enhance another BIGGER one......


Yeah I know..... till then it shall be a post at the later date.