Sunday, August 28, 2011

Merdeka Folding Bike Touring, Klang to Langkawi: Day 1



I have wanted to go on my maiden solo biking/touring ride, and mentioned casually to one of my cycling friends on my plan. He wanted to tag along as well, since like me, he wanted to gain some experience.  I thought it was a good idea to have a travelling partner, as it is much safer to travel in a group. The Hari Raya cum Merdeka Day holiday is the best time for the tour

As I was planning our itinerary, I wanted to cycle from our starting point in Klang to Telok Intan straight away, but the distance is 150km away. Since my partner and I have not done any long distance exceeding (metric) century road ride before, I decided to play safe and turn it into 2 days ride. Hence all my planning for each day’s distance throughout the touring will not exceed 100km.

So the day 1 plan is to cycle from Klang to Kuala Selangor (about 45km), and see how far we can cycle before we call it a day and look for hotel. Some of the potential town I have done some research include Sekinchan, Kampung Pasir Panjang and Sabak Bernam, which do have hotels, homestay and our last resort: police station or temple =P.


Just one week before our trip, we have a experienced biker to join us as well, so in total we are travelling in a group of three. Meeting Mr & Mrs Yeong at the starting point was the first time my partner & I met.

Mr Yeong previously have planned his tour for the same period as we have planned during long holiday as well, but unfortunately his touring partner has his leave cancelled. Unwilling to do solo touring, he decided to join our group instead after coming across our touring event I have posted on Facebook. I’m more happy to have him on board. The more the merrier... =)


Our first stop is at Kapar town which is 15km from the starting point, which we have our first breakfast (2nd breakfast for Mr Yeong). Since the choice is limited, we go for nasi lemak and strangely ignored the chilli sauce for a good reason =P. During the conversation, I learned that he have rode in most places in our itinerary as well. Suddenly our touring ride have very high chance of success... =D


We reached Kuala Selangor (at 45km) around 10.30am. It have been many years since I last visited, and it have developed into town, with new shopping mall, plently of franshise shops and wide 3 lanes road. However, this is newly developed area we are not interested in. After the short rest, we proceeded to the old town of Kuala Selangor.


After the super short ride to the old town of Kuala Selangor, we were greeted by the old tower clock. The old shophouses, which many have been modernise to keep up with the times, still have the charm of small town. We proceeded to climb the Bukit Melawati with our fully-loaded bike. For visitors, you can either walk up, or you can hop onto the feeder bus for a small fee.


It was relatively a short climb to the peak, and at the top you will be rewarded with the panoramic view of Kuala Selangor facing the Malacca Straits. There are also a lighthouse, and some old colonial houses which is converted into museum. If you likes monkey, there are plently of them to play with =D.


After lunch, we continued our journey, this time heading to Sekinchan as our next stop. At noon, the traffic have picked up a lot, which is not a nice quiet journey I have hoped for. This is to be expect as it is the weekend and everyone is balik kampong (returning home) for the Hari Raya celebration. Should have bring some music along...


At Tanjung Karang town, while waiting for me to catch up, Yikai go to replace his broken sunglasses. A simple & charming small shop, on one side selling chinese herbal medicine, and the other side the spectacular shop, truly maximizing the floor space.


When we reached Sekinchan (popular for seafood restaurant) about 1.30pm, we decided to try out the local dishes. Not that we are gluttony hungry, but on touring mode it is good to fill up your stomach whenever the opportunity given, and to experience the local taste =P.

There are many crowded restaurants while doing the hunting, but we spotted one restaurant which have some empty table. We reckon the waiting time will be shorter comparing to full house, so we went for it. As we waited and waited for our food to arrive, we realised that our plan BACKFIRED!!! Damn!!! Was it because of Sunday.... so the chef taking their own sweet time to cook? ARRGGHH


Waited for one long hour before the food is served! As hungry as a buffalo we started our assault eating. One bite and instantly I melted..... Oh my, the food have never taste so good! Home-cooked flavour and the string-ray dish have never taste so sinfully fresh, smooth and silky....Mmmmmmmmm


Since it is still early (3.30pm) to look for accommodation, and Yeong comment that with the speed we are going, we might be able to make it to Telok Intan in late evening time, and the towns before the Telok Intan have little or no interesting places to visit. Given the choice, instead of spending two days to reach Telok Intan, I decided to push myself to reach by end of Day 1, so we can have one extra day for touring!


After Sekinchan, I have already reached my fitness threshold, and began to suffer for the rest of the journey. Not to mention that Day 1 was my first day to cycle the loaded bike (I only managed to get the rack & the pannier bags just the day before). Despite that I still try to maintain my average speed as not to slow down my teammates. There are times I wanted to give up and start looking for accommodation, but somehow I continue, with determination, to reach the destination by hook or by crook. Slowly but surely I cycled past Sungai Besar, Sabak Bernam, Hutan Melintang, many bus-stop, and some hotel that look so inviting.........


At the last stop at the petrol station, it was dark, it was raining, and I was hungry. Eating whether available from the shop just to give me short-term energy boast, but there is nothing to cure my sore butt. Taking a long break, the curious attendants came out and were amazed at what we trying to attempt. She was even kind enough to help us take the (rare) group photo.

The final push was cold and dark experience one. With my sole LED lighting, not only I have to keep a lookout for pothole, I have to concentrating avoiding the incoming motorists riding in wrong direction and with broken light. Not only that, the COLD headwind is strong, and the torrential rain was pounding on me...


Finally reach the hotel at 8.30pm, we managed to find a room. They allow us to wheel our bike into. Room is huge and the beds are new and comfy. We refreshed ourselves, and went for (surprising) affordable dinner at the hotel's chinese restaurant.

Tip: Ask for hotel if they offer any discount, and if they accept your business card then you can have the room for slightly cheaper rate =)

I was truly surprised at myself, especially after I completed the 150km journey! Not only it is my first-attempt touring trip, it was the first time I broke the longest distance record I have rode, and I basically cycled from dawn to dark. But not without consequences. My legs are sored, my butt disintegrated, my lung have burst and I cannot walk properly. Hopefully with some medication and plently of rest, I will be ready for tomorrow ride. To where, we shall see tomorrow... Night

Ride data of Day 1:
Distance: 152.80km
Average Speed: 18.5km/hr
Max Speed: 35km/hr
Total time taken: 8h 15min

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's do it again.

Cheeweng said...

Very tenacious, but foolhardy to attempt 150km. on a fully-laden bike on the first day, especially when you have not trained for shorter distances with gradually increasing loads. The first day would leave you with fatigue and aches. The next day would have to be a complete rest with only light cycling. Anyway, all the best to you.