Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Merdeka Folding Bike Touring, Klang to Langkawi: Day 4




Today I woked up and my leg still in pain. Again two of us are quite reluctant to get out of the cozy bed. By the time we finished packing, the sun was already burning outside. Arh crap..... I can predict hot day ahead.




For the first time since we started touring, we were able to read newspaper thanks to the compliment of the hotel we are staying. After checking out of the hotel, we proceed to a popular local eatery (which Mike knew of).



We ordered each of us a bowl of rice noodle in soup, with side dishes of pig blood curd and braised chicken foot in dark sauce. It was a heavenly meal and we finished it in no time.



After breakfast we had a short tour of Taiping. One of the important landmark we visited is the Taiping Clock Tower. Built-in 1881, this monument have become a tourist information center. Not far from the clock tower is the impressive 19th century Victorian architecture building, which is now the District Land Office for Taiping Municipal. Pity we couldn't spend more time exploring the town.



Before we set out to Bukit Mertajam, we have to stop over a LBS (Local Bike Shop) at Simpang. Mike had an arrangement with the owner of the LBS during the dinner last night, which he wanted to install a low-profile rack. The owner was kind enough to open his shop even though it is an off-day for him. How nice of him.



A visit to his shop was an interesting affair. From the outside it look like any ordinary bicycle shop. But once we stepped into it, the LBS houses numerous surprises. If you scan everything, you are bound to find items that are from the 50s to the 90s. You will be forgiven if you mistake this shop as a museum.


After finishing exploring the shop & the owner finish install the low profile bar. We bid the owner farewell, and we head out to Bukit Mertajam via Federal Road 1.Since my left leg still hurt from the cramp. Look like I gonna take it easy and hopefully I can make it there in one piece.



Along the way I spotted an terrible accident, where I suspected the driver drove too fast, lose control of it, crashed into the muddy drain before landing on a piece of stab which served as a driveway. Fortunately no one was injured in the accident. When I shared this incident with my partners, none of them never spot this accident. Guess all of us were lucky to avoid this accident.



We had a very long break at Bagan Serai town. And Mike decided that he wanted to do some more shopping and purchase a wide leather saddle with string suspension. Hmmm, retail therapy to ease touring stress?



Since we are not familiar with the local food cuisine, we simply random choose a hawker center for our lunch. And we head off soon after.



Taking a break at the T-junction before making a turn toward Bukit Mertajam, Mike had an idea that instead of stopping at Bukit Mertajam, and continue the journey tomorrow, we should cycle to Butterworth, or Penang Isle, and then took a ferry to Langkawi on the next day. After 4 days of continous cycling, I think Mike was exhausted, and I do agreed on his plan as well. Lucky for us Mr Yeong also agreed to the plan. And so we make our way to Butterworth.

The final leg of the journey was the worst I ever felt. Not sure if I forget to replenish myself with food during the tea break, or already have reached my limit of the day, but I was already struggling to complete the last 20km. Not only that, the road toward Butterworth was full of speeding vehicles that I have to be extra careful not to slow down abruptly. Otherwise I risk fish-tailing my bike and have a crash.




Surprising, while we are climbing the last bridge to the jetty, suddenly the traffic just sort of disappeared. Peaceful as last! On the top of bridge we took a breather and enjoying the evening view of the strait toward the Penang Isle.



Taking the ferry from Butterworth is an interesting affair. I didn't know there is a road lead toward the entrance of the jetty, and I didn't know how much I have to pay. And so you can see me scrambling looking for exact changes at the ticket booth (which look like any other toll booth in Malaysia).



Once we aboard the iconic ferry at the vehicle bay, we took up what available space after the 4-wheel vehicle finished boarding with motorcycles.



While admiring the evening sun and enjoying the sea breeze gently massaged my face, I have time to ponder over the journey so far and couldn't help feeling emotional about it . Four days of hard riding with barely adequate fitness, with one leg kinda cramping from day 2 onwards, facing the prospect of sleeping under the sky, the journey so far have been kind to me, without suffering any kind of setback.

By the time we reach the Penang Isle, it was already past 6pm. We quickly made our way to the ticket office and see if there is any ferry to Langkawi on the next day. Unfortunately the ticket office was closed.

So the next thing we do is to hunt for accommodation. After some bargain hunting we found a very budget hostel. Though it was a communal bathroom and toilet, we were fine with it. And for the first time we actually get to use the public PC with the internet access. Finally we can catch up on the happening around the world the past 4 days we been touring.

We're certain that we won’t be able to starve in arguably the food capital of Malaysia, but it's a pity our local friends couldn't meet up for dinner due to our impromptu visit. My good friend Turbosnail was kind enough to send me the GPS co-ordinates on where are the good places to eat. Cheers mate!

Very lucky it was a walking distance to the Chulia St, as I was liternally limping and dragging my left feet, which is on the verge to give up on me...



The wide variety of hawker food doesn't disappoint, but the crowds there is certainly overwhelming. It took us a while before we managed to find an empty table. And because the portion is so small (comparing to our starving stomach), we quickly finish it and continue on eating spree. Good thing the price is quite reasonable as well.

Finally we have reached Penang, thus fulfilling my first part of my touring plan. Now the next thing to worry about is getting to Langkawi.With double holiday peaking, I'm quite worry about lack of ticket going to Langkawi. And so even if we get to Langkawi, I have to worry about getting accommodation, as my friends have repeating warn me to do advance booking at least 3 months. Well I suppose unpredictability is part of the exciting parcel when you do touring. But since we already set out, no use worrying now. So let see how the day will turn out tomorrow.

By 10.30pm, I was sleeping like a dead log.

Distance: 98.98km (excluding the ferry ride)
Average Speed: 14.8km/hr
Max Speed: 39.2km/hr
Total time taken: 6h 40min

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great journey ! would you mind show us the terrain?

thanks.

Riskywolf said...

Hi there.... as requested I posted the terrain profile just below the map. Hope this is the one you want to see.